WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Central Africa a public health emergency after 80 suspected deaths
The World Health Organization declared an Ebola outbreak in Central Africa an international public health emergency on Sunday after dozens of suspected deaths were reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring Uganda. The outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency, the WHO said. The declaration follows reports of 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases as of Saturday across at least three health zones in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu. The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring a rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship, which left multiple passengers and crew members sick, and caused three deaths. NEW EBOLA OUTBREAK LEAVES 65 DEAD AS OFFICIALS WARN OF CROSS-BORDER SPREAD As of May 13, the WHO said 11 hantavirus cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight co...